What happened to reporting?
Better yet, what happened to having journalists who questioned the government rather than feeding us the official story?
I recently bought "The Great Shark Hunt," a collection of articles and essays written by Hunter S. Thompson. Most, if not all, of the entries are ones he wrote for magazines, newspapers, etc. The very first article is called Fear and Loathing in the Bunker and describes how Nixon (this was written soon after the Watergate Scandal) had fallen under the weight of his own follies. Thompson says not only who he voted for but also calls out the Democrats saying that they probably would have done the exact same thing as Nixon, the only difference would be that they would probably get away with it. Thompson then goes on to lay out what he thinks Nixon could do (and most likely will do) to protect himself from impeachment.
Thompson's obviously thought out plot was never realized, but that doesn't matter. He does not only call out the government, but he also warns us of what it is capable of.
Why do we not have that today. Our analysis today consists only of what they said and how that might affect the popularity of the administration. Where was the outcry from our newspapers and news anchors over the Iraqui invasion? Where were they when our army crept into Pakistan? Why were they not demanding the release of all the pictures of the detainees who were abused?
I want my news to take sides and admit it. I want them to tell me the truth, after having gotten the official story and then researching to see if it was true. I want my news not just to report but to actually investigate.
Take your Katie Courics and your Soledad O'Briens'. I would take gonzo journalism any day.
Updates and Extras
7 years ago

1 comments:
July 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Too true, Stan. I'm obsessing over critical readers myself, but you bring up a good point, there needs to be critical reporters. Honestly, I don't see the news "taking sides" or news reporters conducting any of those hard-boiled investigations that prompt outcry and debate. If there's going to be articles like the ones written by Thompson, they'll be in blogs. Small areas that don't get as much attention.
Reporting may seem like nothing but a retelling of the "official story," but I think we can all rectify that by trying to conduct our own research and posting it here on the blogs. Writing about it. It may not be much, but it's a start right?
Post a Comment